653 A.D. – The first written reference to “Tillaburg” in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. Bishop Cedd founds a monastery near the Thames edge.
1066 – The manor belongs to Aelfric the Saxon, a priest. There are 60 sheep.
1086 – Swein of Essex owns the manor, his tenants in chief are two Frenchmen, Osbern and Ralf. There are 260 sheep, 31 cattle, 12 goats and 9 pigs.
c. 1200 – The church is founded on its present site at “LittleTiliburi”
1257 – Richard de Tilbury is granted a Wednesday market at West Tilbury by the King.
1323 – Cranes Farm, referred to in a grant as “Snarrieslond”, comes in to the possession of a lady called Grecia Senaries.
1327 – Fourteen named West Tilbury persons are taxed to raise money for French wars.
1441 – Nicholas Condorowe holds the manor of Condovers at Low Street.
c. 1450 to 1480 – Marshall’s, Condovers, West Tilbury Hall and Well House farm houses built.
1540 – Henry VIII orders building of blockhouse fort and new marsh roads (Fort Road and Cooper Shaw Road)
1584 – John Walker maps the manor house grounds and fields.
1588 – Queen Elizabeth visits the Armada Camp at Gun Hill. Soldiers break stools and damage walls in St.James’s Church.
1609 to 1616 – William Laud holds Rectory of the parish. He later becomes Archbishop of Canterbury. Executed by orders of Parliament in 1645.
1652 – Susan Haveringe accused of witchcraft; alleged she bewitched to death 3 bay colts of Robert Smith.
c. 1660 – Sir Richard Hatton builds Bluehouse (Manor Farm) by the Green.
1676 – William Nevison, a highwayman (the “Real” Dick Turpin) rides through West Tilbury on his gallop to York.
1695 – Village gets postal service, delivered 3 days per week from the “George” at Grays.
1712 – St. James’s church collapses. Rebuilt c. 1713 by Rev. William Philps.
1718 – Sir John Cass makes will, leaving Hoford Farm rents to pay for schooling and clothing of poor children at Aldgate (now the CassFoundation)
1724 – John Kellaway, lord of the manor, sinks a well which soon becomes famous as a medicinal water spring.
1736 – Great Tide. Marshes flooded as far inland as Low Street.
1752 – West Tilbury fair on the Green declared an "event of lewdness and debauchery". The East India ship “Tilbury” sails for Bombay – named after the village and owned by Thomas Hunt of West Tilbury Hall.
1793 – Turnpike Act establishes the first toll gates on Fort Road Common and Muckingford Road.
1798 – Rev. Sir Adam Gordon Bart. Buys the “Old King's Head” pub and turns it in to a rectory house.
1801 – First census. Population 201.
1811 – Samuel Turner appeals for a penny post delivery to the village. Postmaster General approves. Population 117.
1837 – The Low Street workhouse closes and paupers areremoved to Orsett.
1848 The “King’s Head” operates as first village post office under Edward Travis, wheelwright.
1849 – Seabrooke’s brewery buys the “Blue Anchor” beershop.
1854 – Low Street station opens on the Eastern Counties Railway. Single line only. Population 259.
1872 – James Burness acquires the West Tilbury estate. Population 372.
1876 – West Tilbury school opens. Enlarged 1894.
1879 to 1880 – St. James’s Church rebuilt and dedicated April 1880.
1883 – Tower added to church.
1891 – Over 100 gipsies encamped on West Tilbury commons. Population 439.
1895 – All commons registered and regulated by Act of Parliament.
1905 – Smock mill demolished at Mill House. Joseph James last miller in village.
1914 to 1918 – Nine parishoners killed on active service.
1924 – Memorial hall opened. Population 418.
1931 – Most of the Burness estate sold to Allen Charles Cole.
1939 – The smith’s forge demolished.
1939 to 1946 – Four parishoners killed on active service.
1953 – Great tide. Gun Hill used as a searchlight base for illuminating work on breaches at Marsh Farm.
1960 – School closes. Last headmistress Miss Grover.
1969 – Low Street Station closes. An early Saxon settlement is discovered on Gun Hill.
1977 – West Tilbury becomes part of a new ecclesiastical parish with East Tilbury and Linford.
1985 – Historical photographs of West Tilbury village and its rectors hung on permanent display in Memorial Hall. Roman potters kiln found.
With acknowledgements to Thurrock Museums Service.